Left turn

Who Pays if My Car is Towed In After an Accident?

Car accidents are challenging physically, emotionally, and financially. On top of the expenses that usually come with experiencing a wreck, you may also face towing and storage fees. After experiencing a car accident that left your car inoperable, your vehicle may be taken to a tow yard.

A few common questions we receive relate to the expenses associated with towing and storage. Do you pay for your vehicle’s towing and storage? Are you responsible for payment even if the accident wasn’t your fault? Should you remove your vehicle from the tow yard immediately? The process of getting your car back from a tow yard can be confusing. Fortunately, we have answers to these frequently asked questions.

Who Pays for Towing and Storage Fees After an Accident?

Towing and storage fees often wrack up to hundreds of dollars, and the amount it costs will only rise as your vehicle remains in storage.

The responsible party for your vehicle’s towing and storage will depend on who was at fault for the accident. If you were responsible for the accident, the towing and storage fees will fall on you or your insurance company if they cover towing and storage expenses.

If another driver was responsible for the accident, their insurance company should cover the cost of towing and storage. You need to make sure to obtain the other driver’s insurance and contact information so that you don’t have to pay the fees yourself.

If the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance or their insurance doesn’t cover towing and storage, you should contact your own insurance company to pay for the expenses. Your insurance policy may include uninsured/underinsured coverage, which covers vehicle damages and expenses if you experience a wreck with a driver who doesn’t have sufficient insurance. After your uninsured/underinsured coverage runs out, you’re responsible for your vehicle’s towing and storage fees.

How Long Can I Keep My Vehicle in Storage?

You are responsible for getting your vehicle out of storage as quickly as possible. Even if you aren’t financially responsible for the towing and storage, you are required to perform reasonable care to reduce further expenses. If you don’t remove your vehicle from storage promptly, you’ll wrack up unnecessary expenses that either you, your insurance company, or the at-fault driver’s insurance company will need to pay. Leaving your vehicle in storage can lead to exorbitant fees that can be thousands of dollars.

What Happens If I Don’t Have the Money for Towing and Storage Fees?

If you don’t have insurance coverage or the money for towing and storage, the towing company can’t give you back your vehicle. After a few weeks, the towing company could auction off your car if you fail to pay the towing and tow yard fees.

It’s important to remember that the towing company does not care whether or not you were the cause of the accident that left your vehicle in storage. If the fees are not covered by the at-fault person’s insurance company or your insurance company, you need to pay the towing company, or else you could lose your car.

Get a Lawyer for Handling Insurance Companies

Insurance companies aim to pay as little as possible for car accidents, and this includes your own insurance company. Before contacting your insurance company, consider speaking with a car accident lawyer first. Otherwise, your insurance company may try to mitigate the amount they cover for your vehicle’s damages and any additional expenses, such as towing and storage.

In addition to insurance companies attempting to underpay for vehicle damages, they may also attempt to underpay for any injuries you may have experienced.

Contact an Indiana Car Accident Attorney Today

If you or a loved one experienced a wreck, contact Crossen Law Firm. Our firm represents victims of vehicular accidents and helps them receive the money they deserve for vehicle damages, towing and storage fees, and personal injuries. You need an expert car accident lawyer at your side to ensure you’re not paying out of pocket for your vehicle and medical expenses. Here at Crossen, we’ve helped numerous clients receive the money they deserved from negligent drivers and insurance companies. Call our office at 317-401-8626 or contact us online by clicking here.