We are representing victims of Praxis Landmark Recovery. Share your experience with us. Learn more here.
Left turn

Can I Sue My HOA for My Slip and Fall?

Falls are the #1 reason for emergency room visits in the United States. Most of these falls happen not at worksites or stores, but right in our own homes.

All it takes is one dangerous step and you could have a slip that causes severe injury. Some of the most common household causes of slip and fall injuries include ladders, stairs, loose flooring, scattered objects, and uneven surfaces.

The recovery time for slip and fall injuries often lasts weeks or months. Meanwhile, the bills start rolling in. Most ER bills are at least $3,000 and the average slip and fall brings $10,000 or more in costs. That’s a large burden to carry alone, especially if someone else might be at fault.

Who’s Liable for Your Slip and Fall Injury?

After a slip and fall injury, it’s important to identify who’s responsible for the exact area where you were injured. For homeowners who live in communities with homeowners associations (HOAs), this could mean the HOA can be held accountable for maintaining a communal area.

For example, in a condo community with an HOA, the homeowner is typically responsible for the area inside their condo and the HOA is responsible for other areas like the parking lot, sidewalks, and landscaping. If you slipped on loose or icy pavement and fell in the parking lot, the HOA might be responsible for paying your medical bills and other damages.

This is an aspect of the law known as premises liability. To hold your HOA accountable, you’ll need an experienced Indiana accident attorney who understands premises liability plus personal injury law.

How to Hold Your HOA Responsible

Your HOA may try to avoid responsibility for your slip and fall, perhaps pointing to a clause in some paperwork that seems to release them from liability. Don’t take their word for it. Indiana has strong laws regarding premises liability and you may have a solid case against the HOA.

You’ll need to provide as much evidence as possible that shows where you were injured, what circumstances led to your injury, and the impact on your life. Gather evidence like medical bills, pay stubs that show missed days of work, and photos/videos from the area where your injury happened.

Don’t wait too long to start your legal action, because these cases must be brought within two years under Indiana law. Crossen Law Firm is here to help with a free consultation so you can move your case forward as quickly as possible.

Slip and Fall Injury? Call an Indiana Accident Attorney

The Crossen Law Firm legal team has the experience to handle your Indiana slip and fall case. We care about obtaining results for our clients and we care about you personally. We want to help you secure the compensation you deserve.

Contact us at 317-401-8626 to schedule a free consultation about your case.