Left turn

Should I Get a Lawyer For a Minor Car Accident in Indiana?

There’s no law requiring you to have a lawyer for a minor car accident in Indiana, and many ask themselves should I get a lawyer for a minor car accident? Before you drive away and put the accident out of your mind, consider what could happen next.

You might need a lawyer if your car has more damage than you realized, if you have injuries that flare up later, or if the other person suddenly threatens legal action. It’s also possible that the state of Indiana thinks you broke the law.

Why Should I Get a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?

Minor car accident injuries aren’t always as minor as they seem. The damage to your body might not be obvious when the accident occurs, but soon the pain escalates and reveals a deeper and more serious health issue.

After your accident, see a doctor immediately to evaluate the full extent of your injuries. Some issues take time to develop into painful, debilitating problems creating major medical bills.

Delayed symptoms from car accidents include:

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) warns that closed head injuries including TBIs can be invisible. TBI-related symptoms like vomiting, seizures, convulsions, and chronic headaches often arise in the days and weeks following car accidents. Anyone in a car crash should be evaluated for a head injury right away because it could be much more severe than it seems.

The same goes for your vehicle damage. What appears to be a minor accident initially can take a turn for the worse when you receive an expensive auto body shop estimate. Your car may have severe damage to unseen areas within the electronics, undercarriage, engine, and more.

By hiring a lawyer for your accident, you take the first step to exploring your options and understanding your best path forward. Your lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your medical costs, vehicle repairs, missed wages, and so forth. 

A lawyer can also help you understand whether the other party’s claims have legal merit and what types of fines or legal charges you might be facing. Under Indiana law, you’re required to stop and report any accident involving injuries, a hit-and-run driver, or more than $1,000 in vehicle damage. You should exchange insurance information with the other driver even if you don’t plan to make a police report.

Can Someone Sue You for a Minor Car Accident?

It’s a myth that nobody sues over minor car accidents. People initiate civil actions over relatively minor car accidents every day. 

What seems minor to you might seem like a big deal to the other person in the accident. They could be tallying up losses like their wages from missed days of work, costs of mental health treatment, and ongoing suffering from chronic pain from the accident.

Now you’re left wondering, “Should I get a lawyer for a minor car accident?” The answer is likely yes if the other person is trying to hold you liable for their expensive costs. Speak to a car accident lawyer to determine the best path forward.

What is the Average Settlement for a Minor Accident?

You might have heard that there’s “no average settlement” for an accident claim. This is true considering that every accident involves a unique situation.

Car accident research from Martindale Nolo shows car accident settlements vary widely and can be as little as $5,000 or as much as $75,000 or more. Severe accident settlements are often worth much more, sometimes $1 million to $4 million-plus. A settlement for a minor car accident would tend to fall on the lower end of the spectrum, but your definition of “minor” might be different from a lawyer’s or insurance company’s definition.

Your ultimate settlement amount will depend on numerous factors including who’s at fault, the cost of your medical bills and car repairs, the impact of other damages like lost wages, and the value of your pain and suffering. Your lawyer can help arrange a settlement for the full and fair value of your total losses, covering your damages and attorney’s fees while leaving you with money in your pocket.

Relatively minor car accident cases still qualify for accident settlements in Indiana, so don’t worry about whether your accident is too minor. Try Crossen Law Firm’s online settlement calculator to gain a better understanding of your potential settlement value.

Need a Lawyer for a Minor Indiana Accident? Contact Crossen Law Firm

If you’re wondering whether it’s time to hire a lawyer, talk to an Indiana car accident lawyer at Crossen Law Firm. Our case results show that minor car accident cases aren’t always as small as they seem and can deliver high-value results.

Contact us at 317-401-8626 for a free consultation. You’ll see that our priority is always to help you secure the compensation you deserve so you can recover from your accident.