The simplest and most straightforward answer to this question is: as soon as possible. Before even discussing when you should hire a personal injury lawyer, let’s begin with another important question:
Why should you hire a personal injury lawyer?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, a premises liability accident, or a vehicle accident, you are going to be dealing with not only pain, financial complications, but also massive amounts of stress. A personal injury lawyer can take that stress off your shoulders while fighting for just compensation for you.
1.A personal injury lawyer can help you decide if the settlement is fair or not. Being injured in any kind of accident is probably unusual for you. Unless you are a Maxwell Smart or Inspector Clouseau type person, you don’t have a string of accidents to learn from in your past. A personal injury lawyer deals with cases like yours every single day and will draw on a wealth of experience and knowledge to deal with your case.
2.The team of attorneys at Crossen Law Firm accepts cases on a contingency basis, which means that they are not paid unless you win your case. They offer free initial consultations and will tell you honestly if you have a case or not.
3.A good personal injury lawyer will tell you what your rights and responsibilities are as well as keeping track of all deadlines. This will give you enormous peace of mind so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
4.A good personal injury lawyer will fight to prove the liability of the other party. This may involve reconstructing an accident or bringing in expert witnesses. It may also involve investigating such things as “Who is responsible for trimming those tree branches that obstructed visibility at the intersection?” or “What safety measures did the supermarket have in place, and did they follow their own procedures?” These are facts that may be crucial to your case and which you wouldn’t have the experience or contacts to necessarily be able to find out on your own.
5.If you have severe injuries, you may be in financial difficulties because of lost wages. A personal injury lawyer will take into account possible future medical expenses and make sure that you don’t settle for less than you are entitled to (or need). Insurance companies are not in business to be altruistic; they are in business to make money. They will often offer the lowest settlement possible and hope that you don’t know enough to fight for more.
6.A personal injury lawyer is familiar with other types of damages you may be entitled to as a result of your accident. For example, you may be entitled to file a claim asking for:
- Medical expenses: This includes ambulance bills, hospital and doctor bills, physical therapy, and medication.
- Counselor or therapist bills: You will probably be emotionally traumatized, as you have been through a horrific accident when at your most vulnerable.
- Emotional suffering, including PTSD, depression, or newly developed phobias
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical suffering. Pain can be debilitating.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and potential loss of future wages
- If applicable, funeral and burial expenses
- Any other current or potential future expenses connected with your accident
7. In certain conditions, having a personal injury lawyer can be especially necessary. For example:
- If deadlines are approaching
- If an insurance company is acting in bad faith or is denying liability
- If there are multiple at-fault parties
- If injuries are severe and likely to have long-lasting effects
- If a fatality was involved
- If the other party is a government entity
Now back to the original question: When should I hire a personal injury lawyer?
We have the same answer: As soon as possible.
Get an expert on your side before any mistakes are made or deadlines are missed. Avoid stress by letting Crossen Law Firm handle the intricacies of your settlement or court case. Give yourself the best possible chance of obtaining the compensation you need and are entitled to.
When you are injured in a serious accident, your main focus needs to be on recovery. Let Crossen Law Firm handle the fight for compensation. With over 20 years of experience and millions of dollars awarded in compensation to our clients, our Indianapolis personal injury lawyer understands how to best help you obtain a favorable outcome for your situation. Get started on your case today by scheduling a free consultation about your situation.