Left turn

A Compensation from Road Rash and Burn Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident

Though motorcycle riding can be an enjoyable sport or even a very convenient way to get around, it is also one of the most dangerous forms of transportation. This is because, unlike other vehicles, a motorcycle does not provide any protection to its rider. If a motorcyclist gets into an accident, they have nothing to protect their body from impact with the ground or other objects, save for the clothes on their body and a helmet, which means motorcycle burn is common.

This means that motorcycle riders are highly susceptible to severe and even fatal injuries after being in an Indiana motorcycle accident. And one of the most common motorcycle injuries that can be incredibly painful and leave behind severe scarring is road rash or motorcycle burns.

Motorcycle Road Rash and Road Burn Injuries

A road rash, also sometimes called a road burn, can affect any part of the body after an accident, including the face, arms, hands, legs, feet, chest, abdomen, back, and shoulders. When road rash from a motorcycle accident occurs, it can leave behind severe scraping and bruising and even tear away the skin, leaving nerves, muscle, fat, and bone exposed.

Whether minor or severe, road rash and motorcycle burn can leave the skin extremely raw, painful, and inflamed. There can also be a lot of bleeding if the skin tears away, and victims are highly vulnerable to infection. This kind of injury is much like a burn in the way that it affects the skin and can leave behind significant scarring.

In some cases, a motorcycle accident can even result in a fire from gas spillage and mechanical damage, which can result in a thermal burn to the skin in addition to any road burn that is also sustained.

Because a road rash is so similar to a thermal burn, it is categorized by severity of degree:

  1. First-degree road burn. At this level, road rash is much like a first-degree thermal burn. There is no break in the skin, but it is red and inflamed.
  2. Second-degree road burn. With a second-degree road rash, the skin is broken open, but no further than the first layer of skin. This level of road burn can still be quite painful and will take time to heal, and can also become infected, but it can still be treated at home with salve and a bandage.
  3. Third-degree road burn. A third-degree road burn, much like a third-degree thermal burn, is very severe and can leave the skin significantly damaged and scarred. At this level, a large amount of skin has been scraped away, exposing deeper layers of skin, nerves, tendons, muscle, fat, and even bone. At this level, emergency medical services are necessary, and surgery will likely be required.

Treatment for Motorcycle Burns and Road Rash

Generally, treatment for first and second-degree road burns require a thorough cleaning to remove debris and dirt, disinfecting the wounds, applying a salve, and wrapping the wounds in bandages. For second-degree burns, the wounds may need to be treated with more salve and wrapped with clean gauze more frequently to help with healing and to keep out infection.

Injured victims may also want to take pain relievers or anti-inflammatories to help with pain and reduce swelling. If the wound isn’t healing or pain and inflammation get worse, immediate medical care is advised.

For more severe road burns, a visit to the hospital is necessary. Surgery will likely be required to thoroughly clean out the wounds, stop bleeding, and stitch the skin back together. A skin graft or plastic surgery may also be required if a significant portion of the skin is torn or burned away.

And these treatments are not cheap. Skin-graft patients, for example, can require several days in the hospital and can incur a bill of over $30,000. And that doesn’t take into account the cost of post-hospital care, such as visits to the doctor, medications, or physical therapy.

Recovering Compensation for a Road Rash or Burn Injury After a Motorcycle Accident

When you file a claim after a road burn motorcycle accident injury, the settlement you are awarded can depend on several things. Generally, victims can be compensated for:

  • Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, visits to a doctor, medications, treatments, tests, assistive devices, physical therapy, costs for out-of-pocket expenses, and travel expenses.
  • Lost income, such as wages lost while recovering and loss of future earning capacity if the injury affects the victim’s ability to return to work.
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering. This refers to how much the victim suffers physically and emotionally and how much their life is altered or affected by the accident.
  • Scarring and disfigurement. After treatment, road burns can still leave behind severe scarring that can result in a disfigured appearance. As such, victims are generally considered deserving of a higher compensation amount because the injury has left them permanently disfigured, which is physically and emotionally traumatic.

Consult an Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer

Though a road burn from a motorcycle victim deserves a higher settlement amount due to the severity of the injury they have sustained and how it can affect their life, there is no guarantee they will be awarded the full amount of compensation they deserve. This is why it’s so important for victims to work with a motorcycle accident attorney.

An attorney can fight for your rights as a motorcycle accident victim and help you prove the full extent of your suffering, so you are more adequately rewarded. Without an attorney, insurance companies are likely to offer you a reduced settlement amount.

At Crossen Law Firm, we have over 20 years of experience fighting for victims of road burn injuries from motorcycle accidents. We know the challenge in proving these kinds of injuries and know what it takes to ensure our clients’ rights and wellbeing are protected. Our Indiana personal injury attorneys provide compassionate service and will guide you through the legal process every step of the way to help you win your case.

Contact us today or give us a call for a free consultation at (317) 401-8626.